1. UpSpring Baby Milkscreen Home Test for Alcohol in Breast Milk. Well, THIS won’t make me sound like an alcoholic mother or anything. *Ahem* But after abstaining from sweet, sweet libations for nine months, mommy is entitled to a drink or two. I believe the general rule-of-thumb for breastfeeding mothers is that we’re supposed to wait two hours for every alcoholic drink before nursing again. However, if you’re super-paranoid like I am, then you’ll appreciate these strips that tell you if your milk is ready for baby, or if it’s still a White Russian. $9.99 for a pack of 8 strips.
2. Microwave Steam Sterilizer. Mr. Candy and I are kinda lazy when it comes to cleaning and whatnot. No! I kid! We are TOTALLY lazy when it comes to cleaning and whatnot. However, we do care enough about our kid that we don’t want her sucking on filthy bottles and pacifiers. (I know, I know…we’re parental overachievers.) The Avent Express Sterilizer is perfect for lazy/time-challenged, concerned parents. Just fill it with a little water and some of your kid’s crap, and stick it in the microwave for four minutes, and voila…! Sterilized baby crap. $30.99
3. Banana Republic’s Equestrian Flat Boot. I am a die-hard high-heel fan — seriously, I hiked the Mayan Ruins in three-inch heels on our honeymoon (Smart? No. But at least my calves looked good while I slid backward down the hills.) — so it was tough for me to give them up when I had Skye. Although I still wear them on special occasions, I’m not too keen on the idea of teetering on them while carrying the baby. So I searched for more practical… ugh, I just said the P-word… yet stylish options and came across these boots from Banana Republic. I bought them in black AND brown, and wear the black ones almost every day. The brown ones are so dark, they look black, so I wouldn’t recommend them. But I sure do love me the black boots. Comfy, cute and great for tucking in your jeans, as is so popular right now. $160
4. “Captivating Cap Sleeve Dress” (aka Nursing Nightgown). It’s hard to feel sexy when you have a baby latched on your boob, but this nightgown does make you feel cute — which is something expectant and new mommies deserve. Great for maternity and post-pregnancy wear, the nightgown has concealed nursing slits with easy access for breastfeeding. A note about sizing: It is roomy, obviously, so I wear a small now that I’ve lost the baby weight, even though I usually wear a medium. $68 (Use discount code MMHOLIDAY09 and get an extra 30 percent off, like I did!)
5. Canon Rebel XSi Camera. When I found out I was pregnant, I decided to upgrade our cheap digital camera in hopes of capturing some fabulous pictures of our little one. A photographer friend recommended the Rebel XSi when I told her I wanted a “decent camera that wouldn’t break the bank.” Once Mr. Candy and I figured how to, um, put it in auto-focus (Shut up! I had pregnancy brain!), it has truly exceeded our expectations. $565 for the camera, plus $360 for what my friend calls the “magic lens” — which I have yet to get. Maybe “Santa” will put one in my stocking…? *Cough* Are you reading this, Mr. Candy? *Cough*