I really wanted to like The Mindy Project. It’s all about Mindy Kaling! I love her! I loved her on The Office! I love to support funny ladies! I love rom-coms and television — what a delicious pairing this will be! But after I watched the show’s premiere last year, I was all… meh. Then I deleted it from my already-overflowing DVR recordings and proceeded to watch five minutes here, five minutes there throughout the season without ever giving it much further thought. Because I approach my television viewing much like I approach sex since becoming a mom: If I stay awake to do this, is it really going to be more pleasurable than sleep? And most exhausted mothers out there know what that answer usually is. (Sorry, Mr. Candy. Zzzzzz.)
However, the kids have been sleeping in later (can I get a hallelujah?) so I’ve been feeling more refreshed lately (this is where Mr. Candy shouts “HALLELUJAH!”). Which means I’m also ready to give The Mindy Project another shot. It just so happens that Fox posted an early preview of Mindy‘s second season premiere online — one week before its Sept. 17 broadcast debut. The episode — titled “All My Problems Solved Forever” — follows Mindy to Haiti, where she’s struck by a sudden ailment. It also features a guest turn by the seemingly ubiquitous James Franco as Dr. Paul Leotard, whose name pretty much says it all.
Here are the top 5 things I learned from the season 2 premiere of The Mindy Project:
1. As we can see from this hair-chop, er…cut (just a wig, but a permanent style for the character), Mindy learned nothing from Felicity‘s mistakes.
2. Watching James Franco’s sperm dance to ’70s porn music is oddly mesmerizing.
3. Yeah, I would totally buy the “James Franco’s Disco Sperm” iPad app.
4. SPOILER ALERT: Contrary to the title of the episode, Mindy doesn’t really get all of her problems solved forever.
5. The premiere was cute enough to make me give the show another chance. Until the kids start waking up at the crack of dawn again, that is.
WATCH THE EPISODE HERE, IF YOU’RE NOT TOO EXHAUSTED: